Wednesday, January 24, 2018

RIP Ursula

RIP Ursula le Guin - pick up one of her books.
ANY and ALL of her major works will entrance you.

Things that my parents did to my brain when I was young.
We read what our parents read. And my parents had a MOUNTAIN of SF & F laying about the house.

Is it any surprise that they are my favorites??

My earliest memories are trying to read their copy of the Hobbit. Was drawn in by the amazing cover. Couldn't get past the intro, but kept trying.
(Oh, look, one of my favorite gifts from them, was my own boxed set <3) 

I NEVER got into LeGuin's last works. 
Always coming home. But that was a long time ago.
Going to try again as an adult.

DUH - earthsea - read it now, if you never have. 
I need to send some copies to some friends with kids. 

Left hand and Dispossessed
I read them as a kid. (My parents were major SF nerds, going to conventions, hell, my mom won costume awards in her later years??? LOLWUT??)

I have no memories of not reading things like le Guin. 
And heinlein. 
How much of my "acceptance" of others was driven by the normalization in these stories?

The Forever War (haldeman  sp?) is one of my all time favorite stories.  The story is all about acceptance and different and the wars that happen with miscommunication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment